I always say that there is no better way to provide a product and having used yourself first.Onl...
Search Engine Optimisation
Search engine optimisation techniques and tips for anyone who is serious about their website. SEO is not for the feint hearted and it requires consistent application of a wide range of techniques and initiatives to be applied on a regular basis. There are a number of things that you can do to improve your website through a better understanding of what SEO is about and what is required. Through a growth in your own understanding you will be able to deliver a better web solution and improve your chances of attracting greater and better qualified leads to your website.
We want our website found!
A number of clients have made this request over the years and I have drafted this discussion paper addressing this issue consolidating the information we have shared with them. I have also updated some of the advice in view of changes made by Google over the past 12 months.
Fallacy #1 – If I build a website, customers will come.
Sorry, but simply building a website without paying attention to a number of aspects detail later in this paper, will produce no or next to no result. It is about as useful as sticking a billboard at the side of the Birdsville track!
Fallacy #2 – Google has indexed my site so customers should be able to find me now.
The fact that Google has indexed your pages in Excel will not guarantee you will be found in the search engine. Sure, if someone searches your business name or your website URL (domain) you will be listed in the results (well you should be). The problem is, your market is probably searching on terms related to your services and products rather than your business may. And unless your site contains appropriate content suitably optimised around those search terms, and then you will most likely not have a highly brand position in the search results for your pages.
Fallacy #3 – My content refers to my products and services. So surely my site is optimised for the search engines.
When your site is built there would have been basic SEO factors incorporated into your site by default stop for optimisation to achieve most effective ranking results involves a detailed analysis and implementation process. This is a separate service that we offer and in fact encourage clients to take up at commencement their projects.
Unless this is included, your rankings will not be as effective as they would have been as we have not identified what most effective keyword strategies for your optimisation are. We have not analyse what your competitors are doing nor have we examined how these factors can be best implemented within your website. Other "off page" optimisation factors are also considered in a full SEO campaign for clients’ websites.
How your customers find your website.
It is probably important to reiterate what many people have difficulty in appreciating when it comes to their website being found by their target market.
Your market can only find your website in the following ways:
- They have the URL to take them directly to your website pages.
- They see your site listed in search results (preferably at the top of page 1) when searching on selected words or phrases.
- Your site is promoted through PPC (pay-per-click) adwords campaigns in Google or similar services in other search engines or social media
- Your advertising banners placed in different websites through specialised remarketing service providers.
- You conduct some form of inbound marketing (such as newsletter on promotions using e-mail marketing) campaign is directing people to specific pages in your site or to specifically designed lead capture landing pages
- You conduct some form of social media marketing.
- You place content related to your business. In other websites of relevance to your industry and market that link back to content in your site.
- You run off-line marketing through traditional non-digital media channels directing the readers to selected pages in your site or to specifically designed lead capture landing pages.
Different clients can use a varying mix of all of the above stop the validity and effectiveness of each will depend on the nature of your business, resources available to put these strategies in place and of course, budget.
Content is King.
We have written about this subject on many occasions. Quite simply, Google is looking to relevant content is refreshed and updated on a regular basis. Your visitors are looking for content that is relevant to their needs and solving problems that they have.
With Google's updates since Panda, the relevancy and uniqueness of your content is Paramount. You should ensure that you have a suitable amount of content in your pages. We suggest a minimum of 300 to 400 words or general pages of preferably aiming towards 700 words.
Be sure your content is unique and you must include a copy from elsewhere then keep the amount of "copied” content per page at 15% to 20% maximum.
If Google feels your page includes too much "copied" content then your page will not obtain any ranking value.
Where websites sell products online, we are presented with a unique set of challenges when it comes to the content or those products. Invariably, site owners will copy product details from the original manufacturers own material stop this is not an unreasonable expectation however site owners must understand that if this is all you do, then you can't expect your individual product to rank well as the same content is probably existing in a number of other websites.
Your options to overcome this particular challenge are as follows:
- You should try to rewrite product descriptions and details in your own words.
- Keep the amount of copy content of the product to a minimum.
- Include additional content in that product that is original and unique.
- On each page, each product catalogue, each product and all blog article posts; be sure to set the "SEO metadata" for title and description.
- In short, image files are named with keyword rich names and that the "Alt” description tag is set on such images utilising keywords relating to the page holding the image.
- Ensure your product catalogues have meaningful descriptions that are displayed in product pages.
- Be sure to have content in all pages and products that utilises targeted keywords.
- Set the "title" meta tag on any links set on text or images within your page content.
- Using meaningful item names of all Web App item is trying to incorporate key words relating to the item content
- Made good use of tags that are relation to keywords in your blog posts
Steps to follow or Business Catalyst sites
Using Social Media To Improve SEO
The use of social media vary from one business to another. Certain social media is more relevant than others in different businesses and industries. We will generally advise you on how you can best utilise and set up a social media presence for your business in the early stages of your project. We can do perform this behalf clients. Of course, most of this is able to be performed by clients themselves with our guidance stop
- We strongly suggest that every client creates a Google account and then pages in Google My Business or their business as as a minimum.
- For those clients focused on B2B market, we encourage you to create a linkedin profile and then a company page on linkedin.
- Of course, Facebook should not be overlooked and irrespective of your personal views about Facebook, we suggest that each business should have a Facebook business page
For most businesses, the major share of their market lies within 10Km to 15Km of their premises yet the majority of the digital marketing is pitched at a far more expansive market area. A particular approach that is receiving a growing level of interest is Local SEO – mainly focussed on how you can build your reputation in the local area in web resources that have a local focus – Google+ would be the biggest and most opportunity in this regard closely followed by local search and business directories and business associations. Local SEO is significantly cheaper and can produce better qualified results however it should be understood that this form of marketing focusses on your brand rather than your product. As such best results are delivered when it is incorporated into other marketing initiatives you should be pursuing.
The above advice and suggestions are quite general. There is no magic formula for getting your website is found by your market and driving new opportunities to your business.
Success your website relies on your commitment to working website and working with us as your Web developers. Whilst we have provided general advice, your best chances of success will be derived from a digital marketing and SEO strategy. We work with a series of alliance partners who provide highly specialised services in each area. Why do we use alliance partners? Quite simply, each of the areas requiring attention a complex and demand highly skilled people to deliver professional results stop whilst we provide a degree of service on all of the different areas ourselves, specific campaigns justify dedicated specialist in order to achieve the best results for our clients.If you would like to discuss any aspect of improving your website performance, SEO or digital marketing, then encourage you to talk with us about your expectations and we can frame up a solution meeting your needs.
References or Related Articles
Published by: Top Left Designs on